Democracy Convention, and you're invited!
The Earth Democracy Conference is one of nine conferences taking place at this year's Democracy Convention, August 7-11 in Madison, Wisconsin. Registration is open now, and early registration is a great way to get on the list for first news about convention logistics.
The Earth Democracy Conference builds on the declaration adopted by the Ecojustice People's Movement Assembly at the 2010 US Social Forum: "We support the conclusion that only by 'living well', in harmony with each other and with Mother Earth, rather than 'living better,' based on an economic system of unlimited growth, dominance and exploitation, will the people of this planet not only survive but thrive, and the ecosystems on which all life depends will flourish."
The Earth Democracy Conference is a place to discuss, debate and strategize to ensure that the growing US democracy movement includes those working on the frontlines of eco-justice. Join confirmed speakers at the Earth Democracy Conference who are working to make the declaration a reality:
- Arthur Stamoulis, Citizens Trade Campaign
- Michael Vickerman, Renew Wisconsin
- David Newby, Pres. Emeritus, Wisconsin State AFL-CIO and Pres. Wisconsin Fair Trade Coalition
- Linda Sheehan, Earth Law Center
- Jane M. Goddard, Center for Earth Jurisprudence, Barry School of Law
- Carolyn Raffensperger, Science and Environmental Health Network
- Jill Stein, Green Party Presidential Candidate
- The Pachamama Alliance
- John Peck, Family Farm Defenders
- Speakers from Indigenous tribal and local communities on the front lines of resistance to Big Energy, Industry and Ag, and from the Sierra Club John Muir Chapter (Madison)
- others to be announced as confirmed.
These are just some of our planned workshops and sessions:
- Climate and Planet Earth Emergency: Big Energy and Industry/ Big Pollution/Big Resistance: learn the issues and non violent resistance strategies from Indigenous tribal and local communities on the front lines in the fights against the XL Pipeline, fracking sand pits, the Penokee Hills Taconite Mine, and high-capacity water pumping.
- The Pachamama’s Alliance Awakening the Dreamer Symposium: a transformational educational workshop to “change the dream of the modern world" and empower participants to investigate their unique role in transforming humanity’s future.
- Earth Democracy Workshop: Teach-In/Teach-Back: interactive discussion of community initiatives to protect public health and ecosystems: the Precautionary Principle, rights of nature, guardianship, and more.
- Bees, Butterflies and GMO Crops: Say No to Monsanto and Dow Chemical: challenging corporate-controlled agriculture/creating healthy farmer-controlled food systems, including ordinances to protect local food.
- Hands off Mother Earth: Writing Earth Rights into Law: local, national, and international movements and success stories. Local initiatives to protect springs and rivers.
- Declare your Community a TPP-Free Zone to establish local democracy and nature’s rights. The Trans-Pacific Partnership Free Trade Agreement will accelerate plunder of the earth and seriously harm the health of all beings. Learn the TPP basics; how the TPP protects corporate wealth and property, and why the TPP must be stopped.
In our plenary session we'll debunk carbon markets and the neo-liberal “green” economy and discuss how to create a true green economy grounded in climate and environmental justice for all.
Special activities include a food fair featuring produce and products from local farmers, an urban agriculture bike tour, act activism for children, and more.
About the 2013 Democracy Convention
If you want to strengthen democracy where it matters to you… in your community, school, workplace, economy, military, government, media or the Constitution… you will find inspiration in Madison this August at the second national Democracy Convention. The Democracy Convention houses at least nine conferences under one roof, recognizing the importance of each of these separate struggles, as well as the need to unite them all in a common, deeply rooted, broad based democracy movement.
Please register, sign up your organization, business or union as a sponsor, and spread the word by sharing this post on social media and posting this convention button on your website.
Thank you, and see you in Madison!
Nancy Price, Co-Chair Alliance for Democracy