Monday, September 21, 2009

Granny D asks for your help

Public funding for elections is not a dead issue. Two bills, described below, in the House and Senate, have a total of 91 co-sponsors, more than HR 676. This email from Granny D details what you can do to build support for them. The Senate bill details are here, the House bill here.

Dear Friend:

In September the Supreme Court of the U.S.A. will try again to decide if corporations are persons and, if so, would have all the rights of a person; and could send as much cash as they consider effective to candidates running for office. I hope they decide against changing our laws forbidding corporations from using their huge treasuries to influence the outcome of elections.

Americans for Campaign Reform have two bills known as the Fair Elections Now Act. "What has that to do with me?" you may ask. Sometime in the past ten years you sent me, Granny D, your email, along with a donation or a get-well card, or signed a list and I am using your email to write to you because you said or inferred that you would help me when the time came and you could do so.

Now I am cashing in my chips! Would you be so kind as to make two telephone calls of singular importance for me? The numbers are: 1-877-851-6437 or 1-800-828-0498. Both are for the Capitol. The first call you would make, were you to accept my humble request, you would ask for the office of your Senator, and the second call you would ask for the office of your House Representative.

Leave a message for whom you called if he/she is not available. If he/she or a trusted employee answers, please use your own words saying something like this: "I would like the Senator (or Representative) to know that I do not believe that a Corporation is a person. I would like him/her to co-sponsor the Senate (or House) bill known as the Fair Elections Now Act, HR 1826 for the House and SB 752 for the Senate."

If either is already a co-sponsor (as NH representatives Carol Shea-Porter and Paul Hodes are), thank him/her for being one. If not say, "Please consider being a co-sponsor because I am sure you would like to please me and many of your other constituents."

Yours sincerely,

Doris Granny D Haddock
PS Please send this to people you know.

No comments: